Tuesday, January 3, 2012

AMAC

Today I am going to write about a very sensitive subject.  It is not an easy subject for people to discuss.  I feel the need to address this because so many people are affected by it.  You may not even realize you know someone who is living with this every day.  It is the horrific memories of sexual assault.  This can cover a wide spectrum of events that result in just as many varied reactions and coping mechanisms.  At this point I will insert the introduction to the book I wrote in order to, hopefully, help others who have suffered through such a tragedy.

            I am not a trained expert on the subject addressed in this book.  I am not a doctor.  I am not a trained psychotherapist.  I am not even a certified counselor.  I have, however, possibly been in your shoes.
            If you have ever been the victim of a sexual assault, it can be a very difficult thing to deal with.  You may not want to talk about it.  You may not even want anyone to know about it.  That is why I have written this book.  Even the title of it is a blessing in disguise.  If you are harboring the miserable secret of a sexual assault, you don’t want to walk out of a bookstore with a book with a title such as Overcoming the Trauma of Sexual Assault.  With this book, you were able to make the purchase without drawing too much attention to yourself.
            I wrote this book in the hopes that I could help someone who has experienced the same horrifying violation I have, the trauma of sexual assault.  Read this book.  Mark the most helpful parts for future reference.  Write in it.  Cry on it.  Just please, benefit from it.

As you can see, the main point of my book is that I hope to encourage those who have experienced this horrible event to get help.  It is my hope to get this book published soon and hope that people will benefit from it.

What many people don't realize is that the problem is huge.  One in four girls are molested, and the statistics for boys is the same.  That means if you are with 3other people right now, one of you has experienced sexual assault.  A typical classroom of 30 children consists of at least 7 children who have been abused.  If you work in an office with 100 employees, 25 of these people have this history.  It is staggering when you really stop to think about it- and very sad. 

If you or someone you know has been abused, please seek out help.  Don't try to trudge through the misery all by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment